I don’t know why you are here. Maybe you are looking at the Network Marketing business model or maybe you are in a Network Marketing company and just happened to stumble across my blog.
Whatever the reason I want to clear up some pretty common misconceptions about Network Marketing and give you my perspective after 11 years in the industry.
1) Network Marketing is a pyramid scam – hmm how many times have you heard that? Well in most cases this is not true. Do you think companies like Herbalife or Amway would last for 30+ years if it was an illegal pyramid? I don’t think so. Here is an article on Entrepreneur.com that explains the difference (CLICK HERE). Yes there are some very dubious opportunities being thrown about in the market place but they NEVER last.
2) Network Marketing is illegal – ok that one is quite fascinating since there are hundreds globally and many actually have physical offices in each country. Pretty elaborate illegal scam if you ask me 🙂
3) All you have to do is get 3 who get 3 – in theory it sounds amazing doesn’t it. So simple a monkey could do it. Unfortunately it isn’t that simple and you might need to find 100 to get your real 3. Just being honest.
4) Get Rich quick – this is an illusion also and one learned the hard way by many people who came in with big wide eyes. Unless you have had some previous success and know a boat load of successful people, you will have to be prepared to do the hard yards and be prepared to stick to it for the long run. It’s not easy but it’s worth it.
5) You have to be a good salesman – no you don’t. Sure you have to learn some skills in dealing with people and actually talking to them about what you have. But Network Marketing is a people business and therefore far more important that you learn to understand people more than you understand your product.
6) The products are inferior and overpriced – If they were inferior and didn’t work no one would buy them. People are not complete idiots. Yes some products are definitely over-priced but you get the extra support in this type of business.
7) 95% Fail in Network Marketing – I don’t know the exact statistics, and yes there is a high failure rate but the reality is it is because most people actually quit before they even get started. I can’t tell you how many people I have signed up over the years that never do a damn thing. Seriously, even after literally spending thousands of dollars. They invest, They get all excited and then disappear like a puff of smoke. It is beyond my comprehension but it does happen! So the statistics are rather skewed because of the low barriers to joining and the ease of disappearing.
Getting Started in a Network Marketing Program
So now you know some of the misconceptions about this industry. But what I can say is that not only is Network Marketing a very simple way for anyone with some drive and determination to get started as an entrepreneur and create financial freedom in the long run. It is also very rewarding with an amazing group of people who are exceptionally focused on personal growth, therefore, allowing you to completely change your life just by association.
Ps. Maybe you have a company you love, or maybe you are looking for a way to make a difference. CLICK HERE to see whether this may be a fit.